Friday, June 17, 2011

The Great Family Debate

It's been over twenty four hours, and I haven't abandoned this blog yet. Go me!


Honesty time. One of the reasons I put off writing a blog is because people I know would read it. Specifically, the fam.


As of this moment, I have five followers (HELL YEAH), and three of them are an auntie, a brother, and a mama.


Every person my age has to accept this new truth about the internet: once your mommy's on there, it ain't anonymous no more.


Not that I don't want my mama and others to know what I'm up to, but let's say I want to drop an F-bomb (that's fuck, in case you weren't aware), or talk about making out in some bar. Suddenly, I gotta be aware that whatever I say, I'm basically saying to my mother's face. Even more so, let's say I want to write a sad time blog or a emo self-esteem blog. I don't want my fam to worry about me or think I need help when I'm just fulfilling the state legislated "One sad blog per month" quota.

I don't want a TV-14 blog, but I don't want to give my mama an aneurysm either. So, I gotta thrown down the gauntlet.


The Gauntlet:


Family.


I love you. But I reserve the right to remain silent about any and all events/perspectives mentioned within said blog. Don't take it personally, it's meant to be read for entertainment. If there is a legitimate need/danger/problem/emotional void, you will the first to know. I promise.


Signed,


Shawny






4 comments:

  1. Ha ha, I know what you mean. I'm not so worried about my family... it's the in-laws (more specifically my mother-in-law) I'm concerned about in my blog!
    Welcome to blogger, by the way! Good to see you on here!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally get it and I respect you for saying this. I'm not just your Auntie Kathy, I'm also a journalist, and one who at age (cough, cough) found myself worrying about my elderly parents seeing a My Turn essay of mine in Newsweek because I thought it might upset them. It never ends. Just sayin'. Some day you might be in the position of not wanting your kids to see, or react to, something you write. I say just go for it. Your family will know that if you need us, we won't find out through the blog but from you. Now go be a blogger.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's the same thing for my content too. I do want people know what I'm up to, but I try to keep things formal. If I don't feel like talking about something, then I don't mention it. I can fill a blog post full of other interesting things while staying away from another subject, so it's no trouble.

    And if I feel like talking about something specific that has to do with a person or a specific group of people, I usually talk to them directly.

    Good luck with the blog and new shenanigans you'll be having in France.

    ReplyDelete
  4. this has been my lastest concern since my mom joined Facebook! but what am i suppose to do? Reject to be my mom's friend? not going to happen! =D blog on!

    ReplyDelete